Advertising Sales Director
We are seeking a seasoned and gifted sales professional to fill the role of Advertising Sales Director at Sky & Telescope Media, a division of F+W Media, Inc.
At the heart of Sky & Telescope Media is its iconic flagship magazine, Sky & Telescope, which satisfies the diverse editorial needs of intermediate to advanced astronomy practitioners. Sky & Telescope is comprised of amateur astronomers situated predominantly in North America but also in more than 100 countries, and it appeals to a broad community of advertisers nearly all of whom aim their products at these practitioners.
The magazine just completed another comprehensive survey conducted blind across the customers of a manufacturer (through the mail) that clearly demonstrates extraordinarily strong affinity and preference for Sky & Telescope over its primary competitor. Sky & Telescope’s companion website, skyandtelescope.com, is the largest of its kind in the English language and it also attracts a dominant market share of advertisers.
As Advertising Sales Director, you would also be responsible for maintaining and strengthening our many relationships with various industry organizations, especially those that interact with our advertisers in the form of investing in booth space at their events.
The candidate we are seeking should be well versed in marketing, advertising, and media. Many of Sky & Telescope‘s advertisers appreciate suggestions by way of effective advertising messages. Though not required, it would be a bonus if you know how to craft visually appealing marketing materials as well.
We require a strong track record of sales performance in selling media across multiple platforms, with an analytical mind combined with a genuine interest in the success of the advertisers who invest in various Sky & Telescope media. We need an individual who is self-motivated and who possesses excellent communications skills.
We also ask that the candidate be proficient with various types of productivity software as well as have a willingness to learn a variety of new systems.
Founded in 1941, Sky & Telescope Magazine, the world’s leading publication for serious amateur astronomers, is seeking an Observing Editor to join its editorial team in its Cambridge, Mass., office. The Observing Editor handles a broad range of duties, including but not limited to: writing articles and editing columns and departments for the monthly print magazine; creating news stories and other content for skyandtelescope.com and S&T social media; co-editing S&T’s annual SkyWatch publication; and producing the brand’s yearly Observing Calendar. Reporting to the Editor in Chief, the Observing Editor will work closely with other members of the editorial and design teams as well as with columnists, regular freelancers, and subscribers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit observing or astronomy-history feature articles (1 per print issue on average)
- Edit the following columns/departments: Northern Hemisphere Sky Chart, Binocular Highlight, Under the Stars, Going Deep (1 per print issue save Going Deep, which is every other)
- Research and write own features or other articles for print/web as needed
- Edit weekly observing column for website
- Co-edit annual SkyWatchpublication and edit annual Observing Calendar
- Produce all-sky charts for S&T and SkyWatch
- Negotiate contracts with authors; acquire images and permissions; keep article larder stocked; “second-edit” other editors’ pieces; answer queries; and other standard editorial tasks
- Regularly pitch ideas to Editor in Chief for new S&T products for sale in shopatsky.com, including webinars
- Assist with creating, and possibly serving as S&T expert on, astronomy tours
- Represent S&T at annual NEAF trade show and occasional star parties and other events
- Depending on skills/experience, record audio and video pieces for website
- Deep, sustained experience with all aspects of observational astronomy
- Superior writing, editing, and interpersonal skills
- Strong reporting, researching, and fact-checking skills
- Must be highly organized, flexible, and self-motivated
- Aptitude for juggling tasks and priorities as well as meeting deadlines under essentially constant pressure
- Impeccable attention to detail, plus ability to quickly learn house style and systems
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and collaborative spirit
- Experience with Microsoft Office or comparable; WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite experience preferred
- Experience with astrophotography and amateur astronomy equipment preferred
- Programming skills welcomed
- Requires minimum of 7 years’ experience in amateur astronomy or science journalism. Undergraduate or graduate degree(s) in astronomy preferred.
Writing Samples: Please submit 3-4 published writing samples with application.
Salary: Salary range available upon request.
Deadline to Submit Application: June 15, 2017
Summer Intern, 2018
Sky & Telescope, the world-renowned astronomy magazine, is accepting applications for its summer editorial internship. Interns work onsite with the S&T staff in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where they help produce content for both the magazine and S&T’s website, www.skyandtelescope.com. Work may include writing and editing news or stargazing stories, producing multimedia content, or pursuing other independent projects, according to interns’ skills and interests. Interns will also be steeped in the day-to-day efforts that go into publishing a monthly magazine.
Ideal applicants will have a background in professional or amateur astronomy and a demonstrated ability to explain science with accuracy and approachability. Although directly mentored by editors, interns operate as full-fledged staff members, so a strong work ethic and willingness to take initiative are must-haves.
The internship lasts for 10 weeks, with a negotiable start date. The internship is paid, but interns must arrange their own housing.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, résumé, up to three writing samples, and contact information for two references to Editor in Chief Peter Tyson at editors_at_skyandtelescope.com.
Application Deadline: March 6, 2018
Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.